Welcome to San Diego HDTV!

If you like what you see, join our community.

Register Log in

CW switching to KFMB

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
This new station is very open to viewer feedback as an anchor gave out an email in a post on their social media. They really want this new station to work.

Mike Mantle

This new station is very open to viewer feedback as an anchor gave out an email in a post on their social media. They really want this new station to work.
I wonder how many viewers were confused to see News8 on Channel 6 this morning. I didn't watch long enough to see if they had a crawl running describing the change (I didn't see one while I was tuned in though).

Admin65

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how many viewers were confused to see News8 on Channel 6 this morning. I didn't watch long enough to see if they had a crawl running describing the change (I didn't see one while I was tuned in though).
They did not exactly market this switch. Those in the know, knew it was going to happen, but KFMB management did not do a good job. Despite running newscasts that dont clash with KFMB, they still made a new set. Interesting as they could use the main set and it would still work. Maybe that does not fit in with the CW image. It probably did confuse some viewers, but most are getting the message thanks to Social Media.

DirecTV in the family room has KFMB 8.2-CW has the channel mapped out to Channel 9, as of now only in 4:3 standard definition, however OTA in the bedroom is in full 720p HD.

Mike Mantle

They did not exactly market this switch. Those in the know, knew it was going to happen, but KFMB management did not do a good job. Despite running newscasts that dont clash with KFMB, they still made a new set. Interesting as they could use the main set and it would still work. Maybe that does not fit in with the CW image. It probably did confuse some viewers, but most are getting the message thanks to Social Media.
Not quite sure I agree with that as I saw ads on KFMB and on DT2 leading up to the switch. Was it mass advertising? Perhaps not. I only get the UT on Thursdays and Sundays and didn't see anything there either I don't think but I may have missed it. I am in the know so I knew of this change MANY months ago, but what about the general public?

Social media only reaches so far. I can't say that anyone I know follows KFMB, XETV or CW on FB, Twitter or anywhere else. The average viewer just watches TV when they want to watch live, or DVRs the rest of the content. Live news on Ch 6 branded as News8 is confusing to some out of the gate. Later it may not be but for now, I think that it is for the vast majority. I still think a crawl at the bottom of the screen during the news broadcast would go a long way.